One Monk of the Order of Saint Benedict

+ + +

The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other -- the homily worships both.

May 15, 2006

For Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Easter

John 14:27-31

We are approaching the celebration of our Lord’s Ascension into the glory of heaven forty days after his Resurrection from the dead.
Today he says:
If you loved me,
you would rejoice that I am going to the Father;
for the Father is greater than I.

That unfolds the meaning of the words he spoke to Mary Magdalene on the morning of his Resurrection:
Do not cling to me,
for I have not yet ascended to my Father.

In his Gospel today he declares “Peace” as his farewell and “Peace” as his gift to us.
He gives us himself as the means and model for pursuing and receiving this peace.
He says:
I love the Father
and … do just as the Father has commanded me.

In his suffering and death, he reveals his love for the Father and their shared love for us and for our salvation.
The “Peace” he offers us has cost him his Flesh and Blood offered in obedience and love.
We approach him now in the sacrament of his Body and Blood.
This mystery is cause for rejoicing.
While we receive him in his self-sacrifice, at the same time he stands with the Father in the same Body and Blood raised and ascended in eternal victory over sin and death.
If we choose to love him in truth and to have the peace he wants for us, then we must follow his example, as he says of himself:
I love the Father
and … do just as the Father has commanded me.

UT IN OMNIBUS GLORIFICETUR DEUS
That God Be Glorified in All







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home