One Monk of the Order of Saint Benedict

+ + +

The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other -- the homily worships both.

May 08, 2006

For Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter

John 10:22-30

Today in his Gospel, confronted by unbelievers, the Lord asserts that he is the Messiah, the anointed Savior.
Then he tells us what a relationship with him as Savior demands of us, and what he promises and makes possible for us.
First, we must believe in him.
We must listen to him and follow him.
To listen to him and to follow him are the conditions that make it possible for us to receive what he promises.
I give my sheep eternal life,
and they shall never perish.
No one can take them out of my hand.

At this point, he adds a further claim to his promises.
My Father, who has given my sheep to me,
is greater than all,
and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.
The Father and I are one.

With these promises and claims, Jesus has told his persecutors that he is God.
For this, as the Gospel will go on to tell us, they immediately snatch up stones to stone him to death for blasphemy.
Dan Brown, the author of The Da Vinci Code, calls himself Christian, but he contradicts Jesus’ claim to be God.
With that, Dan Brown stones Jesus to death in his own heart, and tramples upon the promises that only God can or should make:
I give eternal life.
My sheep shall never perish.
No one can take them out of my hand.

The fruit of faith that Jesus is Savior and God, the fruit of listening to him and following him is that he gives us eternal life NOW.
He does not say, “I SHALL do it.”
He says, rather, “I GIVE them eternal life.”
Let us now approach our shepherd in his Blessed Eucharist, with hearts and minds prepared by his own words.
My sheep hear my voice.
I know them,
and they follow me.
I give them eternal life,
and they shall never perish.
The Father and I are one.

UT IN OMNIBUS GLORIFICETUR DEUS
That God Be Glorified in All







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home