One Monk of the Order of Saint Benedict

+ + +

The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other -- the homily worships both.

September 18, 2006

For Monday of the Twenty-Fourth Ordinary Week of the Church Year

Luke 7:1-10

Several times in the life of our Lord, various foreigners in Israel rendered him some extraordinary act of homage or of faith.
Today, the foreigner who appears before us in the Lord’s Gospel is a Roman military commander.
This Roman officer sends Jewish messengers to beg the Lord to heal his slave who is sick and at the point of death.
The Lord sets out for the Roman’s house, but this commanding officer literally halted the Lord on the way by his proclamation of humility and faith.
Lord,
do not trouble yourself,
for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof.
Therefore, I did not consider myself worthy to come to you;
but say the word and let my servant be healed.
For I too am a person subject to authority,
with soldiers subject to me.
And I say to one, “Go,” and he goes,
and to another, “Come here,” and he comes;
and to my slave, “Do this,” and he does it.

At these words from a foreigner, the Lord marvels to those following him, “not even in Israel have I found such faith.”
Later the Lord will speak a prophetic blessing [Lk. 13:29], not only upon this one foreigner, this Roman officer, but upon all foreigners who believe.
Men will come from east and west,
and from north and south,
and sit at table in the kingdom of God.

And so, here WE are, from east, west, north and south, sitting at the table of the kingdom of God.
Baptism and faith have given us the privilege to eat at the table of the children of God.
We recognize our own faith as we echo the words of the centurion.
Lord,
I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof;
but say the word and let my soul be healed.

Then the Lord answers us with saving power: “Be it done for you as you have believed.” [Cfr. Mt. 8:13]
It is he, the healing Lord, who “took our infirmities and bore our diseases.”
What return can we make for salvation?
We must, with all our heart, declare the greatness of the Lord, and our spirits should rejoice in God our Savior.
For he has looked with favor upon our lowliness.
He has lifted us up from our lowliness, and seats us next to himself.
He fills us with good things.
It is right to give thanks and praise to the Lord our God.
So it is that we celebrate and offer the Eucharist, the Thanksgiving Sacrifice of Christ.

UT IN OMNIBUS GLORIFICETUR DEUS
That God Be Glorified in All







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home