One Monk of the Order of Saint Benedict

+ + +

The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other -- the homily worships both.

October 20, 2006

I have received a good question.

"Have you ever posted reflections on the readings and not made a reference to the Eucharist?"


Towards the end of all my homilies at Mass, I always try to refer to the Eucharist. I think the homily, coming between the Gospel and the Eucharist-- or coming near the end of the Liturgy of the Word and near the beginning of the Liturgy of the Eucharist-- ought to honor both the Gospel and the Eucharist. The homily, like the entire Liturgy, ought to be an offering of worship and a seeking of salvation.

Furthermore, just before the priest is about to say "Behold the Lamb of God..." and then consume the Eucharist, he says a prayer of preparation that implicitly wraps the Gospel and the Eucharist together:
Lord Jesus Christ,
Son of the Living God,
by the will of the Father
and the work of the Holy Spirit,
your death brought life to the world.
By your holy BODY AND BLOOD
free me from my sins and from every evil,
keep me faithful to your TEACHING
and never let me be parted from you.

The subtitle of this blog is posted at the top of this website.
The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other-- the homily worships both.

UT IN OMNIBUS GLORIFICETUR DEUS
That God Be Glorified in All







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home