One Monk of the Order of Saint Benedict

+ + +

The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other -- the homily worships both.

November 26, 2006

For the Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ the King, 26 November A.D. 2006

John 18:33-37

In speaking of his being a king, Jesus says:
For this I was born
and for this I came into the world,
to testify to the truth.

Jesus the King is a witness and servant of the truth.
Jesus had already unfolded the truth with the life he lived, the work he did, the message he taught and the prayers he offered.
In fact, the last time Jesus spoke of being a SERVANT OF THE TRUTH was in a prayer he offered at his Last Supper.
Here is what Jesus said about the truth as he prayed for us at the Last Supper [see John 17:21-26].
As you, Father, are in me,
and I am in you,
may they also be in us.
I have given them the glory that you, Father, have given me,
that they may be one
even as you, Father, and I are one,
I in them,
and you, Father, in me.
You, Father, have sent me
and have loved them even as you have loved me.
Father, I desire that they also,
whom you have given me,
may be with me where I am,
to behold my glory that you have given me before the foundation of the world.
I made known to them your name,
and I will make it known,
that the love with which you have loved me may be in them,
and I in them.

The truth is that Jesus wants us to enjoy the same love that he and the heavenly Father have for each other.
So, the TRUTH is that Jesus has come to give us the same love that he receives from his Father.
Jesus who is God has come to give us everything that is his.
Recall carefully what Jesus prayed at his Last Supper.
Father,
I have given THEM the glory that YOU have given ME.
YOU, Father, have loved THEM
even as you have loved ME.
Father, I desire that they also,
whom you have given me,
may be with me where I am.
Father, I made known to them your name…
that the love with which YOU have loved ME may be in THEM.

As our King, the greatest concern of Jesus is to share with us the love that the Eternal Father gives him.
When Jesus was baptized in the river Jordan, the Father’s voice came out of heaven and said:
This is my Son,
my beloved,
with whom I am well pleased.

The truth is that when each of us was baptized, God said the same thing of each of us:
YOU ARE MY CHILD,
MY BELOVED,
WITH WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED.

In the Body and Blood of Christ Jesus, we eat and drink the Father’s love for his only-begotten eternal Son.
That is exactly what Jesus said to the Father at the first Eucharist— at the Last Supper.
Father,
I made known to them your name…
that the love with which you have loved me may be in them,
and I in them.

Christ our King gives himself to us as food for everlasting life.
He wants to bring each of us into his own joy as the beloved of the Father.
God has already given, but we must take care that our hands, our hearts and minds are open to receive.
How do we open up?
He told us in the last words of his Gospel today.
For this I was born
and for this I came into the world,
to testify to the truth.
Everyone who belongs to the truth LISTENS TO MY VOICE.

By our obedience to the teaching of Jesus, we open ourselves up to receive the joy he wants to give without end.
Jesus the King gives up his Body and sheds his own Blood so that sinners might rejoice with him forever as the royal sons and daughters of God.

UT IN OMNIBUS GLORIFICETUR DEUS
That God Be Glorified in All







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home