One Monk of the Order of Saint Benedict

+ + +

The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other -- the homily worships both.

January 23, 2007

For Tuesday of the Third Ordinary Week of the Church Year

Mark 3:31-35.

Christ counts as his family those whom he points out in two ways.
First, his family consists in those who are sitting around him at his feet.
Second, he considers his family to be those who do the will of God.
To sit at the feet of Christ is to do the will of God, because Christ is God.
Christ does not deny that Mary is his mother.
Nor does he deny that Mary does the will of God.
Rather, today’s Gospel simply continues yesterday’s (Mark 3:22-30) , in which Christ asserts that he bears the Holy Spirit.
Amen, I say to you,
all sins and all blasphemies that people utter will be forgiven them.
But whoever blasphemes against the holy Spirit will never have forgiveness,
but is guilty of an everlasting sin."
For [the scribes from Jerusalem] had said,
"[Jesus] has an unclean spirit."

In his Gospel today, taken together with the final words of his Gospel yesterday, Christ lays a beefy, “in-your-face” claim to being GOD HIMSELF.
He is saying in effect:
To call me demon-possessed
is to commit an eternally unforgivable sin against the Holy Spirit who is at work in me,
because I am God.
To sit at my feet is to do the will of God,
because I am God.

So today’s Gospel is not just about who the people OUTSIDE the house are or are not.
Today’s Gospel and yesterday’s are about who CHRIST is.
Some people may not understand who he really is.
Some may misunderstand or even discredit what he says and what he does.
There is no doubt or hesitation in his mind, in his words or in his actions.
He is the Eternal One.
He is the Holy One.
We have come to him in his Eucharist, to sit at his feet, for he is God.
Let take us every pain and care in our daily living to do his will for he is God.
Between Christ and the demons, there is no neutral ground.
… whoever blasphemes against the holy Spirit will never have forgiveness,
but is guilty of an everlasting sin.

Let us do his will, and so receive an eternal home with the angels, the saints and his mother in the house of God, there to be counted forever as his brothers and sisters.

UT IN OMNIBUS GLORIFICETUR DEUS
That God Be Glorified in All







1 Comments:

Blogger tara said...

"Let take us every pain and care in our daily lives to do His will for He is God."

Fr. Stephanos, this makes me think of Matthew 25. Where Jesus separates the sheep from the goats.

Jesus tells us how the judgement will go--"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.'"

Jesus clearly says what we must do to enter Heaven--do His will--out of love for Him. Thanks for the post--lovely.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home