One Monk of the Order of Saint Benedict

+ + +

The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other -- the homily worships both.

May 29, 2009

For Friday of the Seventh Week of Easter

John 21:15-19

Before his death, the Lord had said:
I am the good shepherd.
The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

A hired man does not own the sheep,
and when he sees the wolf coming
he leaves the sheep
and he runs away.

I am the good shepherd.
The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

Today, he commands Simon Peter three times to be a good shepherd in the Lord’s place.
Feed my lambs.

Tend my sheep.

Feed my sheep.

Then the Lord foretells that Simon Peter will fulfill the same path as the Lord, that Simon Peter would lay down his own life for the Lord’s flock, so that by “death he would glorify God.”
The Eucharistic words of Christ the Good Shepherd will resound
from the altar in a few moments.
From his altar, he truly upholds himself as the Lamb of God in his true body given up for us, and in his true blood shed for us in death by which he glorified the Father.
Sometimes we flock as sheep to him, and we hear his voice, as he would have it, and we follow him, as he would have it.
Other times we may tear into him as wolves, wanting our own way, thinking the Lord is there merely to satisfy our needy hungers.
Then, other times, like hired men, we take our “pay” from the altar, but then we run away, frightened of the work the Lord gives us.
From his altar he invites us to eat and drink a covenant in his body and blood, and to do what he does in memory of him.
This is my body... given up for you

This is... my blood... shed for you

Do this in memory of me.

... do you love me more...?

Follow me.

UT IN OMNIBUS GLORIFICETUR DEUS
That God Be Glorified in All







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home