One Monk of the Order of Saint Benedict

+ + +

The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other -- the homily worships both.

May 23, 2009

For Saturday of the Sixth Week of Easter

John 16:23b-28

Until now in the Gospel, the disciples have not asked the Father anything in the name of Jesus.
Until now, they have not asked as Christian believers.
Until now, they have asked in their own name as Jews, as the Chosen People of God.
Today in the Gospel, Jesus tells his disciples “you have loved me and have come to believe that I came from God”— from the Father who “himself loves you.”
To ask the Father in the name of Jesus is to believe Jesus is the Son of God, and to dare ask as a son who knows God is his Father.
While here on the earth, Jesus prayed in our name to the Father.
Now that he has ascended to the Father, Jesus entitles us to pray in his name as sons of God.
He holds out to us a share in his dignity as the Son of God, and we are to mind that dignity when we pray.
He says, “I do not tell you that I will ask the Father for you.”
Rather, “you will ask in my name.”
Thus says Jesus Lord and God:
Amen, amen, I say to you,
whatever you ask the Father in my name
he will give you.
Until now you have not asked anything in my name;
ask and you will receive,
so that your joy may be complete.

That our “joy may be complete”— Jesus upholds that the rightful goal of our prayer is the fullness of our joy.
Fullness of joy is the goal Jesus gives to our prayer.
However, he upholds that prayer must spring from the faith and love that we live out for the Son of God.
... you have loved me
and have come to believe that I came from God.

... ask in my name....

... you will receive,
so that your joy may be complete.

If we have believed in the Son of God, and if we have loved him in thought, word, and deed, then he entitles us to the fullness of joy, so that we may one day stand with him and say as he says:
I came from the Father
and have come into the world.
Now I am leaving the world
and going back to the Father.

To live now as disciples of Jesus is to ascend to the fullness of joy.
To ascend to the fullness of joy, we must live as disciples of Jesus.

UT IN OMNIBUS GLORIFICETUR DEUS
That God Be Glorified in All







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home