One Monk of the Order of Saint Benedict

+ + +

The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other -- the homily worships both.

May 12, 2009

For Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Easter

Acts 14:19-28
John 14:27-31

The Lord spoke these words on the night before he died.
We hear them again today as we wait for him to return from heaven.
He will return to bring us MORE than himself.
Today he says:
I am going away
and I will come back to you.
If you loved me,
you would rejoice that I am going to the Father;
for the Father is GREATER than I.

Those words shed light on what he said to Mary Magdalene when he rose from the dead.
Do not cling to me,
for I have not yet ascended to my Father.

We are not to cling to the good of the past alone or to cling to Christ alone.
Rather, he has ascended to bring us to the Father, and the Father to us, so that we may cling to the Father also.
If you loved me,
you would rejoice that I am going to the Father;
for the Father is greater than I.

Peace I leave with you;
my peace I give to you.

The peace he gives is his own communion with the Father.
In fact, among God’s ancient people, “peace” was another word for “communion.”
A “peace offering” and a “communion sacrifice” were the same thing.
Christ gives us a peace offering by making himself into a communion sacrifice.
He gives peace through sacrificial obedience to the Father— as he says in this Gospel the night before his death:
Peace I leave with you;
my peace I give to you.
Not as the world gives do I give it to you.

I am going to the Father.

I love the Father

I do just as the Father has commanded me.

The peace offering he gives us is his communion sacrifice of obedient love for the Father.
It has cost Christ his life in flesh and blood.
If you loved me,
you would rejoice that I am going to the Father

If we want to rejoice in Christ, then we must go to the Father with the same love Christ has for the Father.
The Word of the Lord in the first reading today tells us the same.
It is necessary for us to undergo many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God.

Rejoicing comes to us by our going to the Father with the same obedient love Christ has for the Father who commands him.
If you loved me,
you would rejoice that I am going to the Father

I love the Father

I do just as the Father has commanded me.

UT IN OMNIBUS GLORIFICETUR DEUS
That God Be Glorified in All







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home