One Monk of the Order of Saint Benedict

+ + +

The Word of God and the Body of God reveal each other -- the homily worships both.

July 03, 2009

For the Feast of Saint Thomas the Apostle, July 3

Ephesians 2:19-22
John 20:24-29

Feast of St. Thomas Apostle
This Holy Gospel according to John starts off [Jn. 1:1] by getting right to the point about Jesus.
In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with God,
AND THE WORD WAS GOD.

However, after that, no one in this Gospel says outright that Jesus is God until St. Thomas calls him, “My Lord and my GOD!”
Thomas had spurned the word of his fellow apostles that they had seen Jesus risen from the dead.
Yet, none of them and no one else had gone so far as Thomas finally did: “My Lord and my GOD!”
What the risen Lord God said to Thomas was also for the other apostles and for us.
Have you come to believe because you have seen me?
Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.

The apostles saw, and they believed.
You and I have not seen, but we believe because we have received the word of the apostles.
We have taken their word about the Word who was in the beginning, and was with God, and was God.
Having taken their word, you and I have the apostles as our foundation.
Standing upon them, you and I become the Church.
The Word of the Lord in today’s first reading calls us “the household of God,” “a temple sacred in the Lord,” and “a dwelling place of God in the Spirit,” “with Christ Jesus himself as the capstone.”
Whether apostles believing from seeing the Lord, or disciples believing from taking the apostles’ word, all of us must now give our word that Jesus is “My Lord and my God!”
The Eucharistic hymn, Adoro te devote, shows us the way of faith, hope, and love when it comes to meeting the risen Lord in his Body and Blood.
Sight, touch, and taste are mistaken about you.
Only hearing can be safely believed.
I believe whatsoever the Son of God has said.
Nothing is more true than Him Who Is the Word of Truth.

I do not set my eyes upon your wounds as did Thomas.
Nevertheless I say you are my God.
Always make me more and more
to believe in you,
to have hope in you,
to love you.

For the fulfillment of our joy, and out of love for the Word who is God from the beginning, it is our mission, together with St. Thomas and all the apostles, to proclaim Jesus “My Lord and my God!”
That which was from the beginning,
which we have heard,
which we have LOOKED upon and TOUCHED WITH OUR HANDS,
concerning the word of life—
the life was made manifest,
and we saw it,
and testify to it,
and proclaim to you the eternal life which was with the Father and was made manifest to us—
that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you,
so that you may have communion with us;
and our communion is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.
And we are writing this that our JOY may be complete. [1 Jn. 1:1-4]

UT IN OMNIBUS GLORIFICETUR DEUS
That God Be Glorified in All







2 Comments:

Blogger ROMVLVS, OBLATVS O.S.B. said...

"You and I have not seen, but we believe because we have received the word of the apostles.
We have taken their word about the Word who was in the beginning, and was with God, and was God.
Having taken their word, you and I have the apostles as our foundation."
-Reverend Father Stephanos

"Now in everything I have said here, brothers, I have taken Apollos and myself as an example (remember the maxim: ‘Keep to what is written')"
- 1 Corinthians 4

With Gratitude and Appreciation,
Dave

9:04 PM  
Blogger ROMVLVS, OBLATVS O.S.B. said...

I admire that your community celebrates such feasts according to the church calendar and not on the nearest Sunday "for the covenience of the faithful" as a "votive mass of the second order with external solemnity" (or some such gobbledeegook.)

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home